A Grimes County switchboard operator was startled by a bomb threat that was made over the phone last Tuesday – on Sept. 11, nonetheless – at approximately 8 a.m. This is the second terroristic threat made in the last five months, as Grimes County Sheriff’s Office investigators continue their efforts to find the person responsible for making a bogus bomb threat to Ellwood Texas Forge Navasota in May.
Capt. Blake Jarvis said approximately 100 people were evacuated last Tuesday, as six deputies swept the courthouse for an hour and no bomb was found.
Jarvis said child support hearings were scheduled when the call came in that morning, and the decision to cancel or change the location of the hearings was left up to the Attorney General judge who opted to move them to the annex building.
“It was moved to the annex building and better security measures were in place with the help of the Sheriff’s Office,” said District Clerk Gay Wells.
Jarvis said everyone who entered the annex building was checked with a hand held metal detector wand.
“Once we changed it to the annex, we added more security and checked people that were going in, and wanded them,” said Jarvis.
Both investigations are ongoing and the prank caller(s) could face charges for terroristic threat.
Chief Deputy Todd Greene previously said investigators discovered that the call to Ellwood Texas Forge Navasota was made from a disconnected Verizon cell phone, and up to a $1,000 reward is being offered for tip information that leads to an arrest and/or indictment in this case.
Ten homes were voluntarily evacuated on CR 452 and CR 419 by Grimes County Sheriffs Office, Navasota Fire Department and Navasota Police Department during the bogus bomb threat in May. Anyone with information about the bogus bomb threat is asked to contact Grimes County Crime Stoppers at 936-873-2000 or the Sheriff’s Office at 936-873-2151.