• The Grimes County Republican Party meets at 7 p.m. the first Monday of each month at the Anderson Community Center, 415 Hill St. in Anderson.
• The Grimes County Democrats meet at 6:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at the Progressive Outreach Center located at 615 W. Virginia St. in Navasota.
• The Grimes County Amateur Radio Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at the Navasota Center, 101 Stadium Drive, in Navasota. The club is open to all ages. Visit the group website at www.gcarg.org or follow the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/gcoarg. There is also a weekly net meeting at 6:30 p.m. each Thursday: 146.740 -6 offset 156.7 tone.
• The Richards Township Association holds their monthly meetings at 7 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at the Richards Fire Department.
• The Navasota Garden Club will meet Wednesday, January 8, 10 a.m., at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center, 309 Church St. in Navasota. Join them and special guest Helen Quinn, for her program about poisonous garden plants. For more information, email NavasotaGardenClub@gmail.com or call 979-255-3778.
• Join the Navasota Grimes County Chamber of Commerce & The Navasota Examiner for their Annual State of the City Address, Thursday, Jan. 9, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Navasota Center. For more information, or to purchase tickets please contact the Chamber at 936-825-6600.
• Come start the new year off right by watching Misslette, The Singing Cowgirl, and Tubie Pushe’e perform at La Casita on Friday, Jan. 10 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
• The first 2020 meeting for the Progressive Women of Grimes County will be held Saturday, Jan. 11. Join us at 201 W. Washington to set an agenda. For more information, please contact Ricke Weinkauf.
• The Navasota High School Fall Sports Banquet will be held Monday, Jan. 13, 6:30 p.m. at the Navasota High School.
• The Grimes County Go Texan Committee will hold their Chief Cook’s Meeting, Tuesday, January 14, 7:00 pm at the Grimes County Go Texan Building, next to the Expo Center in Navasota. For more information, please contact Stacey Ross at 936-825-2843.
• Join the Chamber of Commerce at 4141 Coffeehouse Wednesday, Jan. 15, 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. for Coffee with the Chamber. They will discuss upcoming events, economic development news and other topics of importance to attendees.
• Join the City Wide Mission Saturday, Jan. 18, 10 a.m. in Downtown Navasota to celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The annual parade will begin at 10 a.m., line up on Brosig Avenue, 9 a.m. A memorial program will follow parade at the Progressive Outreach Center, 615 W. Virginia St. for more information, please contact Peggy Johnson, 936-577-3301.
January 24 - 26
• The Annual Grimes County Go Texan kicks off Friday, Jan. 24, 8 p.m. with Jim Sloan and the Allstars. A mini live action will be held during intermission around 10 p.m. Proceeds benefit youth scholarships for Grimes County youth. Activities for Saturday, Jan. 25, include horse shoes and washer tossing competitions, domino tournament, Bloody Mary contest, kids cowpoke rodeo, chili contest and dance provided by Kevin Robinson, 9 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 26 will focus on judging of brisket, ribs and chicken. Tickets can be purchased from any Go Texan Committee Member or from the Navasota Grimes County Chamber of Commerce. For more info, please contact Stacey Ross at 936-825-2843.
• The City of Navasota is hosting a Downtown Revitalization workshop Tuesday, Jan. 28, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Navasota Center, 101 Stadium Drive. This is a perfect workshop for economic developers, chambers of commerce, downtown organization, volunteers & more. To register visit www.accelerationbydesign.com.
• The Navasota Garden Club will meet Thursday, February 5, 10 a.m., at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center, 309 Church St. in Navasota. Join them and special guest Helen Quinn, for her program about poisonous garden plants. For more information, email NavasotaGardenClub@gmail.com or call 979-255-3778.
• Grimes County Crime Stoppers is hosting a Mother – Son Dance Saturday, February 8, 6-8 p.m. at the Anderson Community Center. Photo booth, DJ, Refreshments, door prize and more will be available. Tickets will be sold at the door for $5. Space is limited.
Free Exercise Class
• A free exercise class focusing on strength and flexibility for senior adults taught by John MacDonald. They meet at Roans Prairie Community Center Monday and Thursday at 4 p.m. The event is free, but donations are accepted. Contact John 979-595-6175 for more information.
• Need to Lose Weight? Join TOPS of Navasota, “Take Off Pounds Sensibly.” They meet every Thursday at 6 pm. at Grimes St. Joseph Outpatient/Rehab Building located next door to the hospital, 210 Judson St, Navasota. Private weigh in 5:30 p.m. to 5:55 p.m. A meeting is held at 6 p.m. Low, affordable monthly dues, group discussions and encouragement.
Every Monday & Wednesday
• Free GED and ESL classes are offered every Monday and Wednesday, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Please call Anthony Garcia at 979/209-7300 for more information.
• The Bedias Civic Club meets at 6 p.m. the first Thursday of each month at the Bedias Civic Center. Visit www.facebook.com/BediasCivicClub, for the latest updates.
• Head to Whitehall the first Saturday of each month for Texas Pickers Antiques market that runs from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
• The Whitehall Community Volunteer Fire Department will hold their barbecue sandwich fundraiser beginning at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month.
• American Legion McCluskey Post 640 meets at 5 p.m. the second Monday of each month at 415 Hill St. in Anderson.
• The Grimes County Republican Women hold the monthly lunch and learn meeting from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month at Citizens State Bank, 9109 SH 90 in Navasota. Lunch is $10. RSVP to President Teddi Jackson at email@example.com or call 936-894-1967.
• State Representative District 13 Ben Leman will have mobile office hours from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. the third Friday of each month in Anderson. The office will be open in the Commissioner’s Courtroom in the courthouse annex at 114 W. Buffington Ave. in Anderson. District office hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Capitol Extension Room E1.512 at 1100 Congress Ave. in Austin.
• Based on public requests, there will be beginner/intermediate level mixed guitar classes held at Classic Rock Coffee Co. & Kitchen in Navasota. Classes will meet one day per week for one hour and four lessons will be $60. Class must have a minimum of five people. Interested parties may call Chris at 979-574-1187 or the shop at 936-727-5613. Students must provide their own guitar, acoustic preferred, instructor will provide all sheet music.
• The Grimes County Veterans Service Office will be open 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Thursday at 1010 State Highway 90 South in Anderson. The office will continue to be open during the lunch hour for those who can only come by or call at that time. The phone number to reach Veteran Service Officer Jay Lafferty is 936-873-4490. For change of address or any other changes in status, veterans may now contact the VA online at vets.gov for easier and quicker changes.
• The Brazos Valley Food Bank will offer application assistance from 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays inside the Grimes St. Joseph Health Center at 210 S. Judson St. in Navasota. For more information, call Chelsey Ramirez at 979-779-3663, ext. 105.
• The Two Rivers Heritage Foundation holds their weekly ‘history mixers’ from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. every Tuesday at Lynn’s Rendezvous Room across from the Navasota Post Office.
• The Navasota Kiwanis Club meets at noon every Wednesday at Classic Rock Coffee Company in Navasota.
• Join the Iola domino club from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. every Thursday at the Iola Community Center. Donations are accepted.
• Meetings for Take Off Pounds Sensibly (TOPS) are held at 5:30 p.m. every Thursday at the CHI St. Joseph Outpatient Center at 210 Judson in Navasota. Weight in will be at 5:30 p.m. and the meeting begins at 6 p.m. For more information, go to www.tops.org.
• From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Saturday, the Bedias Library and Museum is offering a summer reading program. For questions, contact Mackie Bobo-White at 936-355-0742 or visit www.facebook.com/BediasLibrary.
• CHI St. Joseph Rehab presents the TOPS – Take Off Pounds Sensibly – program from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursdays at 210 Judson St. in Navasota. There will be a weigh in and meeting. For more information, go to www.tops.org.
• The Grimes County Senior Center, located at 129 Main St. in Anderson, is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for seniors 60 and older. Meals are served five days a week and attendees will enjoy games, bingo, dominoes, quilting, nutritional education, exercise and good fellowship. This program is affiliated with the Brazos Valley Council of Government and Area Agency on Aging. For more information, contact manager Evelyn Szymczak at 936-873-2818.
Calendar items are due by 3 p.m. Friday the week before desired publication. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop by the office at 115 S. Railroad St. in Navasota.