Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

City approves AWOS for airport

Posted in:
  • Article Image Alt Text
    Courtesy photo: Aviation traffic at the Navasota Municipal Airport will benefit from the installation of an Automated Weather Observation System similar to the AWOS at Ronald Reagan National Airport in Arlington County, Virginia.

In a Special Meeting of the Navasota City Council Monday, Aug. 30, council members approved Resolution No. 700-21 for the installation of the Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS) at the Navasota Municipal Airport. AWOS provides continuous, real-time information and reports on airport weather conditions.

The cost of the AWOS is $200,000 and will be ! funded in part by a grant.

According to Utilities Department Administrative Assistant Jennifer Reyna, 75% or $150,000 will come from a grant from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Aviation Capital Improvement Program (CIP). The remaining 25% City match of $50,000 will come from budgeted airport funds.

Reyna added that the Aviation CIP facilitates general aviation airport development in Texas. Through multiyear programming, the Federal Aviation Administration, TxDOT, and airport sponsors are able to anticipate airport needs and accommodate changes in project scope, cost, and schedule more easily. Project participants know when projects are scheduled and can plan for implementation.

Present at Monday’s meeting were Josh Fultz, Bernie Gessner, and Grant Holt. Mayor Bert Miller was present via Zoom. Council member Pattie Pederson was absent.