Seeking Bridge players
• If you play Bridge, you are needed to form a small group of players. Contact Ann Dewitt 979-492-9263 for more information.
Free Exercise Class
• A free exercise class focusing on strength and flexibility for senior adults taught by John MacDonald. They meet at Roans Prairie Community Center Monday and Thursday at 4 p.m. The event is free, but donations are accepted. Contact John 979-595-6175 for more information.
• Need to Lose Weight? Join TOPS of Navasota, “Take Off Pounds Sensibly.” They meet every Thursday at 6 pm. at Grimes St. Joseph Outpatient/Rehab Building located next door to the hospital, 210 Judson St, Navasota. Private weigh in 5:30 p.m. to 5:55 p.m. A meeting is held at 6 p.m. Low, affordable monthly dues, group discussions and encouragement.
• GED classes will be offered every Monday & Wednesday from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. For more information, contact Christian Kehl 979-709-7567.
August 7 & 8
• Navasota is hosting its first “Navasota’s Got Talent” talent show August 24. Registrations and auditions will be held August 6 and 7 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Navasota Center
• Navasota Rattler Media Day will take place at Rattler Stadium beginning at 8 a.m.
• The Navasota Blues Review will feature performances by Paul James Band at 6 p.m., Randy Pavlock & Twenty Four Seven at 7:15 p.m., Eugene Eugene at 8:30 p.m. and Tubie and the Touchtones at 9:45 p.m. The event will be at The Junction Dance Hall and Event Center, TX-6 Business in Navasota. Tickets are $15 each and can be purchased the day of the event.
• Anderson Shiro meet the teacher at 4:30 p.m.
• Grimes County Fair Association monthly meeting at the Grimes County Go Texan building. Proposed changes to the by-laws will be discussed. Meeting begins at 7 p.m.
• Strengthening Families of the Brazos Valley host Grimes County Health and Safety Fair. The free event will feature food, fun, health screening, safety tips, giveaways, and everything kids need to get ready for the new school year. The event runs from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.at the Grimes county fairgrounds, 2550 FM 3455 Rd. Navasota.
• Shiro Days resumes Friday Aug. 9 and Saturday, Aug. 10 from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. in downtown Shiro. There will be vendors and food. For further information contact Barbara Schultz of Nan’s Furniture, 936-662-1201.
• Anderson-Shiro Consolidated ISD first day of school.
• Shiro Seniors’ Luncheon from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. A meal consisting of chicken, broccoli and rice casserole with greens, salad and dessert. There will also be games. The event is free and sponsored by Shiro Feed and Fertilizer and the Shiro Civic Association. Seniors 60 and over throughout the area are invited to attend.
• Meet the Rattlers 8 p.m. at Rattler Stadium
• Revival Barbershop, 105 S. Railroad Street in Navasota, ribbon cutting 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20. Stop by and welcome the new barbers and this great addition to downtown.
• Grimes County Fair Association annual meeting and elections at the Grimes County Go Texan building. Meeting begins at 7 p.m.
• Iola ISD first day of school.
• Coffee with the Chamber at the 4141 CoffeeHouse, 9:00 a.m., all are welcome and the first cup of Joe is on the house!
• Navasota ISD first day of school.
• Richards ISD first day of school.
• Hospice Brazos Valley is hosting a new volunteer training at 302 E. Blue Bell Rd. in Brenham, Friday, July 26, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch will be provided. Contact Jessica Andrade to RSVP, 979-277-9525, or via email jandrade@hospicebrazos valley.org.
• Iola VFD is hosting its first annual Spaghetti Lunch and Ice Cream Social, August 31 beginning at 11 a.m. at the Iola VFD, 23574 Brazos St, Iola. For more information contact Betty Moore 512-539-6792, Sue Ellis 979-218-7416, or via email email@example.com.
• NHS Prom this year will be April 25, 2020 at The Brazos Center for NHS Juniors, Seniors and their guests. Tickets go on sale in September and end April 7, 2020. There will be a fundraiser the first two weeks of October and the first two weeks of February to help with the purchase of prom tickets. Contact Nancy Bouliane 936-825-4231 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Navasota High School homecoming honoring the Class of 2020 and all alumni of the Classes ending in “0”. A memory walk of posters will be on display in the NHS Library October 4, 2019 to view graduates of the classes ending in “0”. Contact Nancy Bouliane at 936-825-4231 or email@example.com for more information.
• 14th Annual Bob Whit-ten Memorial “Shoot for the Moon Golf Tournament” at Pecan Lakes Golf Club in Navasota. The four-man scramble will begin with a 3 p.m. shotgun start. Half the tournament will be played in daylight and the other half at night with special events planned between the two sessions. There will also be a helicopter golf ball drop. For more information contact the Grimes Chamber of Commerce, 936-825-6600.
• The Grimes County Republican Party meets at 7 p.m. the first Monday of each month at the Anderson Community Center, 415 Hill St. in Anderson.
• The Navasota Garden Club meets at 10 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month September through May. Meetings are usually held at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center, 309 Church St. in Navasota. For more information, email Navasota GardenClub@gmail.com or call 979-255-3778.
Calendar items are due by 3 p.m. Friday the week before desired publication. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop by the office at 115 S. Railroad St. in Navasota.