ANDERSON - An early morning fire, Friday, Nov. 8, claimed the home of a mom and her daughter.
Melonie Tamez, who lives off Farm to Market Road 244, said she received a phone call from the Grimes County Sheriff’s office Friday around 1 a.m., and was informed that her home had burned and was a total loss.
“I didn’t believe it at first,” explained Tamez, who was visiting her sister in Sugarland at the time. “I thought it was a joke until I began receiving multiple messages and phone calls and realized it was true.”
Tamez said thankfully neither her daughter, Lorena Alfaro, who was visiting her dad or herself were home at the time of the fire.
Tamez’s sister set up a GoFundMe account for her to help the mother and daughter get back on their feet. “I’m still in disbelief but the way everyone in the community has come together to help has really shocked me. I’ve never been through anything like this and it’s amazing to know I have such a good hometown to help me get through this tough situation.”
The community has donated clothes, furniture and money said Tamez. “We’re asking for continued prayers to help us get through this tough time.”
Anderson Volunteer Fire Department responded, and Iola VFD provided mutual aid to help extinguish the home. Investigators visited the burnt home Monday, Nov. 11, but a cause of the fire hasn’t been released.
The GoFundMe account may be found by visiting https://www.gofundme.com/f/melonie-tamez.