Seeking Bridge players
• If you play Bridge, you are needed to form a small group of players. Contact Ann Dewitt 979-492-9263 for more information.
Free Exercise Class
• A free exercise class focusing on strength and flexibility for senior adults taught by John MacDonald. They meet at Roans Prairie Community Center Monday and Thursday at 4 p.m. The event is free, but donations are accepted. Contact John 979-595-6175 for more information.
• Need to Lose Weight? Join TOPS of Navasota, “Take Off Pounds Sensibly.” They meet every Thursday at 6 pm. at Grimes St. Joseph Outpatient/Rehab Building located next door to the hospital, 210 Judson St, Navasota. Private weigh in 5:30 p.m. to 5:55 p.m. A meeting is held at 6 p.m. Low, affordable monthly dues, group discussions and encouragement.
Every Monday & Wednesday
• GED classes will be offered every Monday & Wednesday from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. For more information, contact Christian Kehl 979-709-7567.
• Navasota Sports Medicine will conduct Athletic Physical Day September 28, immediately after school in the foyer of the High School Gym. Cost is $10 per student, please have all paperwork filled out and signed. If you have any questions, please call the Athletic Training Room at 936-825-5015.
• Iola VFD is hosting its first annual Spaghetti Lunch and Ice Cream Social, August 31 beginning at 11 a.m. at the Iola VFD, 23574 Brazos St, Iola. For more information contact Betty Moore 512-539-6792, Sue Ellis 979-218-7416, or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 8227 CR 205, Plantersville, will host their 125th Homecoming Bazaar September 1, 11a-5p. A day of old-fashioned games, BBQ, raffle, live country music, children’s activities plus silent & live auctions!
• The Navasota Junior High will host their very first GEAR UP Family Night September 4, 6:30-7:30pm. All community members, parents, students and siblings are welcome to attend. Learn what GEAR UP is and the opportunities that come along with it!
• Anderson-Shiro Elementary will host Grandparents week September 4-6, during lunches. Punch, cookies and coffee will be available!
•American Legion Post 640 (Anderson) will conduct a POW/MIA recognition ceremony September 20, 12p, American Legion Hall, 415 Hill St. Anderson. Light refreshments will be served prior to the ceremony at 11:30am.
• Downtown Businesses will keep their doors open late September 27, 5-9p for “4th Friday Downtown-After Dark.”
• 7D Ranch, 2729 CR 305, Navasota, will host their 2019 Fall Festival and Chili Cook-Off
September 30, 1p. Cook-Off teams, vendors and draw hunt visitors can call or text Courtney for more info or to sign up 713-501-0129.
• NJH will host Spirit Night at Chick-Fil-A, 4431 St. Highway 6 South, College Station, September 30, 5-8pm. A representative from NJH will be there to collect receipts, all proceeds will benefit the Navasota Junior High.
• NHS Prom this year will be April 25, 2020 at The Brazos Center for NHS Juniors, Seniors and their guests. Tickets go on sale in September and end April 7, 2020. There will be a fundraiser the first two weeks of October and the first two weeks of February to help with the purchase of prom tickets. Contact Nancy Bouliane 936-825-4231 or email@example.com for more information.
• Navasota High School homecoming honoring the Class of 2020 and all alumni of the Classes ending in "0". A memory walk of posters will be on display in the NHS Library October 4, 2019 to view graduates of the classes ending in "0". Contact Nancy Bouliane at 936-825-4231 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• The NHS Class of 1990 will be gathering for Homecoming weekend. Please contact Christina-Lee Williams for information and shirt orders at email@example.com or 832-277-6780.
• 14th Annual Bob Whitten Memorial “Shoot for the Moon Golf Tournament” at Pecan Lakes Golf Club in Navasota. The four-man scramble will begin with a 3 p.m. shotgun start. Half the tournament will be played in daylight and the other half at night with special events planned between the two sessions. There will also be a helicopter golf ball drop. For more information contact the Grimes Chamber of Commerce, 936-825-6600.
• The Grimes County Republican Party meets at 7 p.m. the first Monday of each month at the Anderson Community Center, 415 Hill St. in Anderson.
• The Navasota Garden Club meets at 10 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month September through May. Meetings are usually held at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center, 309 Church St. in Navasota. For more information, email NavasotaGardenClub@gmail.com or call 979-255-3778.
• The Bedias Civic Club meets at 6 p.m. the first Thursday of each month at the Bedias Civic Center. Visit www.facebook.com/BediasCivicClub, for the latest updates.
• The Whitehall Community Volunteer Fire Department will hold their barbecue sandwich fundraiser beginning at 11 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. The event is held in conjunction with the Texas Pickers Antiques market that runs from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. in Whitehall.
• American Legion McCluskey Post 640 meets at 5 p.m. the second Monday of each month at 415 Hill St. in Anderson.
• The Richards Township Association holds their monthly meetings at 7 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at the Richards Fire Department.
• The Grimes County Democrats meet at 6:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at the Progressive Outreach Center located at 615 W. Virginia St. in Navasota.
• The Grimes County Amateur Radio Group will meet at 10 a.m. the second Saturday of each month at Navasota Fire Department, 1500 LaSalle in Navasota. The club is open to all ages. Visit the group website at www.gcarg.org or follow at www.facebook.com/gcoarg. There is also a weekly net meeting at 6:30 p.m. each Thursday: 146.740 -6 offset 156.7 Tone.
• The Grimes County Republican Women hold the monthly lunch and learn meeting from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month at Citizens State Bank, 9109 SH 90 in Navasota. Lunch is $10. RSVP to President Teddi Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 936-894-1967.
• State Representative District 13 Ben Leman will have mobile office hours from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. the third Friday of each month in Anderson. The office will be open in the Commissioner’s Courtroom in the courthouse annex at 114 W. Buffington Ave. in Anderson. District office hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Capitol Extension Room E1.512 at 1100 Congress Ave. in Austin.
• Based on public requests, there will be beginner/intermediate level mixed guitar classes held at Classic Rock Coffee Co. & Kitchen in Navasota. Classes will meet one day per week for one hour and four lessons will be $60. Class must have a minimum of five people. Interested parties may call Chris at 979-574-1187 or the shop at 936-727-5613. Students must provide their own guitar, acoustic preferred, instructor will provide all sheet music.
• The Grimes County Veterans Service Office will be open 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Thursday at 1010 State Highway 90 South in Anderson. The office will continue to be open during the lunch hour for those who can only come by or call at that time. The phone number to reach Veteran Service Officer Jay Lafferty is 936-873-4490. For change of address or any other changes in status, veterans may now contact the VA online at vets.gov for easier and quicker changes.
• The Brazos Valley Food Bank will offer application assistance from 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays inside the Grimes St. Joseph Health Center at 210 S. Judson St. in Navasota. For more information, call Chelsey Ramirez at 979-779-3663, ext. 105.
• The Two Rivers Heritage Foundation holds their weekly ‘history mixers’ from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. every Tuesday at Lynn’s Rendezvous Room across from the Navasota Post Office.
• The Navasota Kiwanis Club meets at noon every Wednesday at Classic Rock Coffee Company in Navasota.
• Join the Iola domino club from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. every Thursday at the Iola Community Center. Donations are accepted.
• Meetings for Take Off Pounds Sensibly (TOPS) are held at 5:30 p.m. every Thursday at the CHI St. Joseph Outpatient Center at 210 Judson in Navasota. Weight in will be at 5:30 p.m. and the meeting begins at 6 p.m. For more information, go to www.tops.org.
• From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Saturday, the Bedias Library and Museum is offering a summer reading program. For questions, contact Mackie Bobo-White at 936-355-0742 or visit www.facebook.com/BediasLibrary.
• CHI St. Joseph Rehab presents the TOPS – Take Off Pounds Sensibly – program from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursdays at 210 Judson St. in Navasota. There will be a weigh in and meeting. For more information, go to www.tops.org.
• The Grimes County Senior Center, located at 129 Main St. in Anderson, is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for seniors 60 and older. Meals are served five days a week and attendees will enjoy games, bingo, dominoes, quilting, nutritional education, exercise and good fellowship. This program is affiliated with the Brazos Valley Council of Government and Area Agency on Aging. For more information, contact manager Evelyn Szymczak at 936-873-2818.
Calendar items are due by 3 p.m. Friday the week before desired publication. Email to email@example.com or drop by the office at 115 S. Railroad St. in Navasota.